Saturday, September 24, 2011

Sunday Buttermilk Cornbread Waffles

My goal is not to solely have recipes on this blog, but I just have so many recipes we enjoy that I'd love to share with you. And after all, who doesn't like thick waffles on a Sunday morning? On a side note, I'm working on some craft/furniture projects I hope to post next week!
Have any buttermilk left from last post's fresh buttermilk cheese recipe? Why not make these delicious buttermilk cornbread waffles. If you ask my husband, Grant, I'm on a cornbread and buttermilk kick recently. I love the old fashioned warmth, taste, and texture it adds to everything. I even like the sound of the word buttermilk. Up until this recipe I hated making waffles- sad but true. No matter how much I oiled the waffle maker, the batter would stick! This recipe changed it all.
Cornbread Waffles (from Soul Daddy restaurant in L.A. NY and Minneapolis)
Serves 6
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups cornmeal
1 cup flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
3 tbsp. sugar
2 1/2 cups buttermilk (I used low fat)
1/4 cup soybean or vegetable oil (I use the latter)
Directions:
1. Preheat waffle iron
2. Whisk dry ingredients in a large bowl
3. Add buttermilk and oil and whisk until smooth
4. Spray a heated waffle iron with cooking spray (or grease with small amount of veggie oil)
Add 2/3 cup batter and cook until crisp and lightly browned (We like them golden brown), 5-6 minutes.
5. Serve warm with maple syrup, buttermilk syrup (recipe below) or boysenberry syrup (a favorite of ours), or whatever you like! Or freeze for later!
I double the recipe, saran wrap these babies individually with a pat of butter on top, and stack them in a Ziploc in the freezer. Grant can pop them out in the morning before work and reheat them for a minute or so in the microwave and put some syrup on top. They freeze and reheat beautifully!
While we're talking about buttermilk, how about some fresh buttermilk syrup to go on top? I always hesitated to make this because every version I saw was loaded with sugar and tons of corn syrup, but some friends enlightened me to a recipe with less corn syrup that's a tadddd bit better... I guess it is supposed to be a treat after all ;)
Magleby's Restaurant Style Buttermilk Syrup
Ingredients:
1 cube butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup buttermilk
1 Tbsp. vanilla
1 Tbsp. corn syrup
1/2 tsp. baking soda
Directions: Bring first five ingredients to a boil. Add baking soda. Boil 10 seconds and remove from heat immediately to avoid boil over.

Do you have any favorite syrup recipes? I'd love to hear! Enjoy and have a beautiful Sunday with you and your's! We'll be going to church, then just relaxing and having some Italian meatball soup (a husband favorite) with fresh crusty bread if all goes according to plan. Recipes to come!

3 comments:

  1. JBo... I am just loving this new blog of yours! Thank you for sharing all of your scrumptious homemade goodness. My go-to homemade syrup recipe actually comes from Annie's family (as in Annie Kemp).. you can find it here: http://mangoesandlemons.blogspot.com/2010/02/annies-syrup.html

    I'm excited to try these waffles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha... I'm gonna call you "the blogger" from now on. XO, Parks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made these the other morning and I loved them! You're right with the smell of corn meal, it's makes the food seem so comforting.

    ReplyDelete