Friday, October 28, 2011

A Cozy Fall Day

A few weeks ago, my husband and I took a road trip to visit my parents in Wyoming where they now live for half the year. They bought an old dude ranch for our family and have spent the past two summers gutting, restoring, and decorating the 1970's original cabins into what's pictured below. They have just about worked themselves into the ground, and the whole place is a night and day difference compared to the original. People thought they were crazy when they saw the original place, but my parents have always had amazing vision as to what they want together and are relentless in executing it. I hope one day to have even 1/10th of their vision.
Every year since I was born, my family has gone to Wyoming and Idaho for the summer. It's my favorite place, with so many dear memories. We spent some great time on this trip just driving through Yellowstone, relaxing, fishing and hiking, going on fall drives, collecting fall foliage to arrange in the cabins, and canning a whole bunch of peach jam from fresh Santaquin peaches we grabbed on our way up. On the particular day pictured below, it was rainy and windy, so we decided to stay inside and have the Pioneer Woman's Chili (a favorite- so easy) and corn bread for lunch. A perfect day, indeed.
Come on in to cabin #1, the farmhouse style cabin!
Meet Liz. The smallest of the dogs, yet ruler of the roost.
The Pioneer Woman's Chili recipe (I omit the jalapeno and reduce the chili powder a tiny bit, just personal preference. The masa is essential to the texture and taste. Enjoy with cornbread covered in butter and honey!)

1 comment:

  1. What an amazing cabin! Wow. What creativity and talent. Just like their daughter.

    ReplyDelete