Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Favorite snacks

I've found that eating little meals or snacks throughout the day makes me feel more energetic and less comatose than three large meals. I also think there's wisdom in the saying, “Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper”, even though it's easier said than done! Through the years I've tried different snacks and thought I'd list a few favorites I enjoy weekly.
You will see that I'm a little bit obsessed with Trader Joe's, as most people are! I love that many of their products are inexpensive, pretty untampered with, and have only a few ingredients that can actually be pronounced.
When possible, I try to balance sweeter foods like apples or dried fruit with protein or fiber, as fiber slows the absorption of insulin (I have a family history of female's with diabetes so I try to be mindful!) I like the different textures anyway.

1. Honeycrisp, Jonathon, or Granny Smith apples with Trader Joe's natural salted peanut butter (my favorite!) or sharp cheddar. This time of year, I eat about an apple a day. (You know what they say!) To me, a tart, sweet apple is better than candy! I grabbed a bushel in Utah and they stay fresh so long in the crisper.
2. Trader Joe's hummus with baby carrots, cucumbers, peppers, or cherry tomatoes (my favorite, I've tried to make my own but nothing can compare to their original flavor for me- I'm addicted).
3. Cottage cheese plain, or with Triscuits
4. A bit of homemade granola stored in a canning tin (lasts a long time this way) with thawed frozen raspberries and plain or greek yogurt, sometimes with a bit of honey.
I find most yogurt is loaddded with sugar now- 40 grams? yikes, I'd rather add natural sweeteners myself if needs be. I'm looking into making my own yogurt and have found some easier recipes. Have any of you made it?
5. No-knead, homemade whole wheat flaxseed bread with TJ's chunky salted peanut butter with honey or my mom's raspberry jam (grown from my late grandma's raspberry patch- it makes me happy). I freeze slices of the bread and then pop them in the microwave for a few seconds when I want a little treat.
6. I love Trader Joe's bran cereal with milk. It's inexpensive, has about 5 ingredients and is packed with fiber and iron.
7. Almonds with dried cranberries or cherries with a few dark chocolate chips. I like a bag of this for road trips as a little treat.
8. Turkey rolled up with swiss or cheddar.
9. Tuna with crackers or with avocado, spinach, and carrots for a nice crunch.
10. Any fresh seasonal fruit (when I can get it in this desert of AZ)!

I'd love to hear what your favorite, go-to snacks are!! I'm always looking for healthy, easy ideas! Are you a snacker?

3 comments:

  1. Such healthy snacks! All look so yummy. And your pasta?! Incredible! Looks fantastic. Lance had such a good time visiting out there, wish I could've made it. Loving all your foods!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Granny Smith apples with natural peanut butter and honey crisp apples with cheddar cheese are staples in my diet. My new favorite snack that I came up with is cottage cheese mixed with mashed up avocados and a little salt, enjoyed with organic white corn chips. So delish. Try it!

    ReplyDelete